Sunday, May 6, 2012

Life above tree line

A hardcore mountaineer on the drive up to Mount Rainier last summer. 
There are those who regard "The Freedom of the Hills" as essential reading for aspiring mountaineers. With a growing interest in advancing my alpine skills I gave the book the old college try. Flipping through the pages, pausing at illustrations that depict climbers "climbing". It wasn't long before I was overwhelmed. I hadn't left the living room and already felt lost. 

More of a hands-on/visual learner I've opted to spend the next 12 days in the Cascades, taking part in the AMTL course through American Alpine Institute. Covering all the basics of mountaineering, this course brings "Freedom of the hills" to life! (paper cuts not included).

Bear with me as I drop this blog for the backcountry. I am excited to experience life above tree line, enjoy the camaraderie unique to climbing, and see some of the most remote regions of the Pacific Northwest.
Just the basics - that will most likely break my back.

1 comment:

Spokane Al said...

I had the same experience when I attempted to tackle Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter. Others have said it was one of the finest books they had read. Me - I stumbled through the first 100 pages or so and decided it was too much for my feeble brain.

Good luck above the tree line. I am sure your experience will be magnificent.

Search This Blog